What is fascia?
Fascia is the main connective tissue in the body. It surrounds every cell, muscle, bone, nerve and blood vessel, creating a three-dimensional web which spreads from head to toe.
What is Myofascial release?
Myofascial release is a form of bodywork that aims to release areas where the fascia maybe tight or stuck. The techniques are applied slowly to allow the fascia to soften, lengthen and release.
The practitioner will apply a steady, gentle pressure into the tissues, and then slowly start to stretch the tissue, gently holding it until a release in the tissues is felt. The techniques are not usually painful, but sometimes a mild burning or heat may be felt as the fascia releases.
Myofascial release can help with…
- Chronic pain
- Back ache and pelvic imbalance
- Neck shoulder pain and tension
- Carpel tunnel syndrome and RSI
- General discomfort and muscular spasm
- Sporting injuries
- Frozen shoulder
What are the benefits?
Myofascial techniques can help us to unwind holding and bracing patterns, and create freedom of movement where we are stuck, removing the underlying causes of pain and stiffness. It can also:
- Increase energy
- Restore muscular function and postural alignment
- Relieve physical and emotional strain
- Increase awareness of holding and bracing patterns
- Promote relaxation
- Balance the body, mind and soul
- Promote self-healing